Activision has announced that it is working on a new mobile installment of Call of Duty.
- The project has no official name. It currently functions under the temporary title Project Aurora.
- It will be a network battle royale shooter.
- It is virtually certain that the title will use a free-to-play model with microtransactions.
- The creators were vague about the content of Project Aurora but everyone expects it to be the mobile incarnation of Call of Duty: Warzone.
- For now, the devs are not ready to reveal the planned release date.
Despite such scarce information, the game is already at a fairly advanced stage of development. Its existence was revealed in order to inform about the start of alpha version tests. They are closed and there is no possibility to sign up for them.
The announcement of the game, after all, should please many fans. Released a few years ago Call of Duty: Mobile turned out to be a huge hit.. Activision has recently boasted that the game has already been downloaded more than 650 million times. Only last year its revenues exceeded one billion dollars.
Mobile Warzone is cool, but I miss the old ingenuity of mobile spin-offs
Project Aurora will probably also turn out to be a big hit. Personally, however, I'm sad that in the current market reality we can no longer count on projects like the Call of Duty: Strike Team from 9 years ago. This mobile spin-off not only offered an extensive storyline, but also fresh gameplay, as it combined elements of the FPS genre with strategy, enabling us to give orders to the entire squad in tactical mode, showing the action from a drone camera. Today, such ideas are unlikely to be realized.
- Call of Duty - official website