This guide to God of War Ragnarok is an extensive and complete source of information about this third person perspective action-adventure game. The guide supplies knowledge about all key mechanics, explains the basics of combat, offers tips regarding character development, and finally is delivered with a trophy guide that lists all achievements and informs you of their requirements.
- God of War Ragnarok: Guide contents
- God of War Ragnarok: Quick beginner's guide
- God of War Ragnarok: All the Path quests, walkthrough
- God of War Ragnarok: All bosses
- God of War Ragnarok: All secrets and collectibles
- God of War Ragnarok: Side activities
- God of War Ragnarok: Basics
- God of War Ragnarok: Character progression
- God of War Ragnarok: FAQ
- God of War Ragnarok: Trophies and platinum
- God of War Ragnarok: System requirements
- God of War Ragnarok: Game's length
- God of War Ragnarok: Language versions
- God of War: Game Editions
- God of War Ragnarok: Release date
God of War Ragnarok: Guide contents
Our God of War Ragnarok guide opens with chapters focusing on the most important gameplay mechanics. We have prepared a Beginner's guide, as well as tips for, e.g. how to fight, explore the world, visit shops or set the difficulty level. In a separate section, we have focused on describing character progression system - you will learn about, e.g. Kratos' best skills, weapons, armor, companions' skills and gear or recommended builds.
The guide also has a very extensive FAQ section with answers to frequently asked questions. You can learn from it, e.g. how to use fast travel, how to get a spear for Kratos (the third main weapon), how to accumulate XP and Hacksilver, how to heal and extend the health bar, how to unlock new worlds, how to destroy barricades blocking access to secrets, how to unlock Muspelheim challenges or how to react to enemy attacks with rings (red, yellow and blue).
We have devoted a lot of space in the guide to a detailed walkthrough. Our walkthrough explains how to solve environmental puzzles, how to defeat common and elite enemies, and how to reach quest locations. In a separate chapter, we discussed all boss fights - major enemies from the main storyline and Berserker Souls, which in GoW Ragnarok are the equivalent of the Valkyries from the previous game.
One of the most important sections of the guide is the one on secrets, collectibles and side activities. First of all, you will learn how to complete regions in 100%, i.e. find all the secrets. You will also find walkthroughs for all the favours - the game's side quests. This will make it easier for you to discover and complete 100 percent of the available content.
Our God of War Ragnarok guide ends with Appendix, where you'll find, among other things, a trophy guide with information on getting the platinum trophy, as well as pages on controls, PS4 and PS5 system requirements, available editions of the game or how long it takes to beat God of War Ragnarok.
God of War Ragnarok: Quick beginner's guide
- Learn enemy attacks. Blue attacks must be interrupt before they are completed, and the red ones are impossible to block are especially important.
- Don't explore every newly discovered region in 100%. Initially, this may not be possible, as some locations may require you to have gear acquired later in the game.
- Think how you want to spend experience points and hacksilver. XP can be spent not only on new skills, but also, for example, on upgrading runic attacks. For hacksilver, choose the most useful gear upgrades.
- Heal Kratos during battles. You do that by picking up green health stones lying on the ground. There are also alternative healing ways, which you will learn about later. Kratos' health bar can also be extended.
- Use comrades. GoW Ragnarok features various companions and they can support you in battles and unlocking passages to new locations (quest and secret). You can give them commands with the Square button.
You can find more tips and hints on a separate page of the guide: Beginner's guide.
God of War Ragnarok: All the Path quests, walkthrough
- Surviving Fimbulwinter - This is an introductory quest. You will learn, e.g. where to find Atreus, how to solve puzzles in the forest in Midgard and how to unlock fast travel.
- The Quest for Tyr - This is a quest from the first visit to Svartalfheim. The walkthrough has solutions to environmental puzzles with, e.g. geysers, riverbeds and mine cranes.
- Old Friends - This is Atreus' first task. From the walkthrough, you will learn how to solve puzzles as Atreus and how to fight.
- Groa's Secret - In this quest, the heroes visit Alfheim. Learn how to defeat the elves, how to solve the Twilight Stones puzzles and how to leave the Light Well.
- Lost Shrine - This is Atreus' second quest from his visit to Jotunheim. We describe how to work with Angrboda, how to cross the Ironwood and how to rescue the wolf.
- The Reckoning - This quest takes place in Vanaheim. You will learn where to find the source of the curse, how to solve the bridge puzzle and how to avoid plants and poisonous fog.
- The Runaway - This is Atreus' quest. We explain how to find shelter, how to get to Asgard and how to climb the great wall.
- Into the Fire - In this quest, you will visit Muspelheim for the first time. You will learn how to use the mask and where to find its missing piece.
- The Word of Fate - This quest takes place during the return to the Shores of Nine in Midgard. The walkthrough explains how to follow the trail of Norns and how to go through the Well of Urd.
- Forging Destiny - In this quest, you will return to Svartalfheim. The walkthrough explains how to solve puzzles in the Myrkr tunnels, how to start the elevator, how to reach the forge and how to get the spear.
- Unleashing Hel - This is the first visit to Helheim. In the walkthrough, you will learn where to find the last piece of the mask and how to return to Asgard.
- Reunion - In this task, the heroes pursue Garm in Helheim. We explain where the great wolf is, how to solve the seal puzzles and how to escape Helheim.
- Creatures of Prophecy - In this quest, you will return to Vanaheim. The description explains where to find Skoll and Hati, how to rescue Freyr and how to leave the prison.
- Unlocking the Mask - This is Atreus' new quest. The walkthrough tells you where to find Thor and how to get the mask fragment in Niflheim.
- Hunting for Solace - This is a short quest in which Kratos and Atreus go on a hunt and then find Sindri.
- The Summoning - This is a mission from finding Surtr in Muspelheim. You will learn how to reach the forge and how to defeat strong enemies along the way.
- The Realms at War - This is a quest about Ragnarok. Our walkthrough tells you how the attack on Asgard goes and how to get to the final two bosses of the story.
- Beyond Ragnarok - This is an additional endgame quest that will appear in your journal after you finish the main storyline.
- Main ending - We explain when the game shows the first ending and whether it is interactive.
- Secret ending - Here you will learn how to unlock the hidden ending connected to one of the favours (side quest).
God of War Ragnarok: All bosses
- Bjorn the bear - The huge bear of Midgard is the first main boss you will encounter in the prologue.
- Thor - The first fight with Thor takes place in the Surviving Fimbulwinter main quest. We've described all three phases of the duel in detail.
- The Huntress - She is the first of many mini-bosses. The first Huntress is a mandatory fight, other ones are optional.
- Dreki - The page describes the first confrontation with Dreki in Svartalfheim. We also explain how to defeat two of the lizards later in the game.
- Alva - The page describes a fight with the guardian of the Temple of Light - defeating her is part of your visit to Alfheim.
- Gryla - This page explains how to destroy Gryla's runic cauldron and how to avoid her while playing as Atreus.
- Vanadis - This page of our walkthrough covers the first mandatory battle against a Valkyrie. You'll encounter Vanadis during one of your visits to Midgard.
- Forest Ancient - This page explains how to deal with the Ancients - one of the mini-boss types encountered throughout the game.
- Fiske - This page explains how to deal with one of Odin's captains. You'll encounter him in Vanaheim.
- Nidhogg - We explain in detail how to defeat the massive serpent from Vanaheim. You'll learn how to complete all three phases of the battle.
- Traveller - On this page we cover the first battle against this mini-boss type. You'll encounter the Traveller on the way to the Well of Urd in Midgard.
- Frost Phantom - Here we explain how to weaken this phantom encountered in Midgard and how to destroy the Runic Springs on the arena.
- Garm (first battle) - On this page we cover the first battle against the massive wolf. You'll encounter him in Helheim.
- Garm (chase and second battle) - Our walkthrough explains how to escape from Garm and defeat him for the second time.
- Gulltoppr and Heimdall - This battle takes place in Vanaheim's Northern Wilderness. We explain how to defeat the beast and damage Heimdall.
- Flame Phantom - This is a new type of phantom encountered in Muspelheim. We explain how to destroy all three springs on the arena.
- Soul Eaters - On this page we explain how to defeat the pair of Soul Eaters encountered in Surtr's Forge in Muspelheim.
- Hrist and Mist - On this page we cover the battle against two Valkyries in Muspelheim. You'll learn how to avoid their attacks and defeat them.
- Thor (second battle) - This page covers the second battle against Thor, taking place in the endgame.
- Final Boss - This page covers the final boss, their identity and the two final encounters of the game.
- Hardrefill the Peerless - You can face this Berserker in the Nidavellir region of Svartalfheim.
- Beigard the Terrible - You can face this Berserker on the Alberich Island in Svartalfheim.
God of War Ragnarok: All secrets and collectibles
- Aurvangar Wetlands - This is the first region of the land where you can find, e.g. 2 Nornir Chests, a Legendary Chest or 2 Artefacts.
- Nidavellir - A village inhabited by dwarves. There, you can, e.g. get Lore, find 2 Artefacts or start the favor that will unlock the secret ending.
- Dragon Beach - When you reach the beach, you can, among other things, close Yggdrasil Rift, find Nornir Chest or search for Buried Treasure.
- The Watchtower - This is a smaller region of Svartalfheim where you can close a Draugr Holes and eliminate Odin's Raven.
- Radsvinn's Rig - This is one of 3 rigs you can sabotage during a side mission. In addition, there are secrets, including the Nornir Chest.
- Alberich Island - You will find many collectibles on the island, including a Berserker Gravestone, a Yggdrasil Rift, a Nornir Chest and 2 Odin's Ravens.
- Althjof's Rig - This is one of the 3 platforms you can sabotage during the favor. In addition, you will find, among other things, Lore.
- Lyngbakr Island - This is a hidden location in the Bay of Bounty. After discovering the island, you can explore it to do favors and get secrets (including Legendary Chest).
- Modvitnir's Rig - This is one of the 3 platforms you can sabotage during a side quest. There is also a Legendary Chest on the platform.
- The Forge - Area near a large mountain with many collectibles, including Yggdrasil Rifts, Nornir Chests, Odin's Ravens and an Artefact.
- Jarnsmida Pitmines - In addition to puzzles, you can also search for secrets, such as Artefacts, Nornir Chests and Lore.
- The Applecore - This location is visited in the main storyline, but also contains optional collectibles, including Lore, Artefacts and a Draugr Hole.
- Myrkr Tunnels - The earliest you will visit this place is during your second visit to the land. You will find, e.g. a Nornir Chest and a Yggdrasil Rift.
- Alberich Hollow - This is an optional region in the eastern part of the realm, where you can do favors and find, e.g. 2 Legendary Chests and a Yggdrasil Rift.
- The Strond - This is one of the first regions of Alfheim. There are numerous secrets, including Lore, Artefacts and a Nornir Chest.
- Temple of Light - In the temple, in addition to solving puzzles, you can get collectibles. These include, for example, 3 Legendary Chests or 2 Artefacts.
- Freyr's Camp - This is a location with friendly NPCs. There are a few collectibles near the camp - Lore or 2 Legendary Chests.
- The Abandoned Village - In addition to puzzles, you can find secrets, e.g. a Draugr Hole, 3 Legendary Chests and a Nornir Chest.
- Western Barri Woods - In the forests you can complete a favor during which you have to follow Helka and find a secret - Lore.
- River Delta - A vast region with rivers and boat docks. Here you can find, e.g. 2 Artefacts, 2 Odin's Ravens or a Buried Treasure.
- Vanir Shrine - This is one of the hidden regions of Vanaheim associated with Freya's wedding. Here you can get, e.g. 7 pieces of Lore.
- Pilgrim's Landing - This location consists of a beach and ruins. You can find here, e.g. a favor giver and a Berserker Gravestone.
- Noatun's Garden - In addition to poisonous fumes and monsters, there are a spirit that can give you a favor and collectibles (including Lore and a Legendary Chest).
- Cliffside Ruins - In the ruins you can pick up a side quest and, e.g. open Nornir Chest (a more difficult puzzle).
- Goddess Falls - This is a hidden region in southern Vanaheim where you will collectibles, including a Buried Treasure, Nornir Chest and Odin's Raven.
- The Veiled Passage - This is another secret region in the southern part of the land. You will find, e.g. a Nornir Chest and an Artefact.
- Eastern Barri Woods - As you explore the forests, you may come across collectibles and activities. These include Lore and Remnants of Asgard.
- Shores of Nine - This is the central location of this realm. We describe how to get, e.g. Artefact and Yggdrasil Rifts.
- Lake of Nine - The page compiles secrets from the great frozen lake. These include a Berserk Gravestone, favors,Buried Treasures and a Draugr Hole.
Exploring 100% of maps
- Returning to The Applecore and Jarnsmida Pitmines - In this guide, we explain how to visit the regions in Svartalfheim for the second time to unlock the Mystic Gateways and get 100% of the secrets.
- Gateway to southern Vanaheim - The page tells you how to remove a large blockade on the river that prevents you from reaching the southern regions of the land.
- Reaching the Crater in Vanaheim - Our guide explains how to reach the secret northern regions of this realm.
- Precipices in the Crater in Vanaheim - Here we explained how to deal with the precipice by opening the dam and flooding the Crater.
God of War Ragnarok: Side activities
Favours - Svartalfheim
- The Weight of Chains - From our walkthrough, you will learn how to discover the secret Lyngbakr Island and how to free the fins and tail of the large creature.
- In Service of Asgard - Our walkthrough explains how to sabotage Radsvinn's, Althjof's and Modvitnir's rigs.
- Spirit of Rebellion - We have included information on when you can unlock the side quest and where to find Durlin's hammer.
- The Lost Treasure - You will learn where the spirit that starts the quest is and how to reach the buried treasure.
Favors - Vanaheim
- Scent of Survival - The walkthrough explains how to follow Helka's tracksand how to get the Crater in Vanaheim unlocked.
- Return of the River - Here we have information on how to reach the dam in the Jungle and how to open the dam and flood the Crater.
- Path of Destruction - You will find tips on how to lure the drake in Jungleand how to defeat the Slag Horn mini-boss.
Labors - Vanaheim
- Lunda's Lost Armor - You will learn where to find Lunda's Lost Belt, Lunda's Lost Bracers and Lunda's Lost Cuirass, as well as how to repair all the armor and create Lunda's set.
God of War Ragnarok: Basics
- Combat - On this page, we describe the combat in God of War Ragnarok and what weapons and skills Kratos and Atreus can use.
- Exploration - Here you will learn how exploration in of God of War Ragnarok works and how many locations you will be able to visit during the story.
- Protagonists and antagonists - on this page, we introduce and briefly describe all the protagonists and antagonists of God of War Ragnarok.
- Difficulty levels - Here you will learn about the 5 difficulty levels and additional difficulty modifiers.
- Dwarven Shops - We explain how to find shops and what the most important services and items are offered in shops run by Sindri, Brok and Lunda.
- Playable characters and companions - On this page, you will learn what are the playable characters and what AI companions are available.
God of War Ragnarok: Character progression
- Best Kratos skills - On the page we have compiled the recommended skills for the God of War to unlock and use.
- Companions' skills and equipment - The page describes the two most important companions. You will learn about unlocking their skills and upgrading their equipment.
- Weapons - On the page, you will find descriptions of Kratos' 3 weapons. In addition, you will learn about shields, Spartan Rage and relics.
- Armors - We have posted information about the best armors and available sets. You will also learn how to upgrade armor and how to use the amulet.
God of War Ragnarok: FAQ
- How to destroy green blockades? - We explain how to deal with green obstacles that can lead to secrets and hidden locations.
- How to destroy yellow blockades? - Here we have compiled 2 ways on how to get rid of barricades of yellow crystals.
- How to unlock fast travel? - We explain how fast travel works and how to access fast travel.
- How to break red connections? - We explain how to deal with red connections in Alfheim to reach collectibles and secret locations.
- How to reveal the world map? - We answer how to get rid of the fog that covers many regions on the map.
- How to free Lyngbakr's fins and tail? - We explain what must be done to destroy the shackles of Lyngbakr in Svartalfheim (The Weight of Chains side quest).
- How to destroy red vines? - This is one of the types of obstacles you have to deal with in Vanaheim. We suggest how to set fire to vines.
- How to avoid blue poisonous gas? - You have to deal with the blue poisonous fog in Vanaheim. We explain how to temporarily get rid of toxic fumes.
- What are air rifts? - We explain what the rifts are through which air escapes. They lead to new and secret areas.
- How to unlock challenges in Muspelheim? - You will learn how to complete the Muspelheim seed and gain access to the Crucible challenges.
- How to open Nornir Chests? - On the page, we have compiled all types of puzzles for rune chests. This way, you will learn what are the requirements to open secret chests.
- How to find Odin's Ravens? - We have prepared a set of general tips on how to locate flying or sitting Ravens and how to easily eliminate them.
- What does the padlock icon mean? - We explain the meaning of the padlock icon that appears next to chests and passages.
- How to hit distant targets? - We have prepared a set of practical tips on how to destroy distant targets using Kratos' weapons or seals.
- Is it possible to change the time of day? - This page of the guide answers whether you can choose the time of day everywhere and how this works.
- How to lure the drake in Vanaheim? - Here we described a more difficult puzzle from the Path of Destruction puzzle in Vanaheim. You will learn how to trap a small monster in an elevator.
- How to unlock the Blades of Chaos? - Learn when Kratos gets access to the Blades (you start only with Leviathan).
- How to unlock the spear? - This is a very important page from which you will learn how to obtain Kratos' 3rd main weapon. The spear is used in battles and during exploration.
- How increase health bar and rage bar? - We explain how to temporarily and permanently increase the health and rage bars.
- How to deal with attacks marked with colors? - This page explains how to deal with attacks marked with yellow, red and blue rings.
- How to repair the damaged shield? - We answer whether the Guardian Shield, which is destroyed during the first confrontation with Thor, can be repaired.
- How to defeat Wights? - We have posted hints on how to deal with the Wights' resistance to certain types of Kratos' and Atreus' attacks.
- What does a blue health bar mean? - The page explains what the blue opponent's health bar symbolizes and what to do with it.
- How to use runic attacks? - This guide page tells you how to unlock and use fast and heavy rune attacks with your weapons.
- How to accumulate Hacksilver? - We have compiled the most important ways of obtaining Hacksilver. We also suggest what to spend the main currency on.
- How to gain experience? - We list the most important ways to obtain XP for Kratos and other heroes. You will also learn on what to spend the experience.
- How to repair the amulet? - This guide page explains how to unlock amulet slots so you can place new enchantments in them.
- Can you change the characters' appearances? - On this page, we explain how to put on new armor and outfits, and whether they affect characters' stats.
- How to restore health? - On the page, you will find important tips on how to recover lost health points and reduce the risk of Kratos' death.
- Is Atreus playable? - This guide page answers the question of whether Atreus is a playable character in God of War Ragnarok.
Content and the game's performance
- How to save the game? - On the page, you will find information on creating saves and see how the auto saves work.
- What is in the pre-order? - Find out what in-game items you will get when you pre-order God of War Ragnarok.
- Is 3D audio supported? - Find out if God of War Ragnarok supports 3D sound.
- Will there be a PC version? - Check out this page if you are wondering if God of War Ragnarok will be released on PC.
- How much does the PS5 upgrade cost? - When you buy God of War Ragnarok for PS4, you will be able to upgrade it to the PS5 version. Find out how much it will cost.
- Is it possible to play after beating the game? - This page explains whether you can continue playing the game after finishing the storyline, i.e. whether there is an endgame phase in God of War Ragnarok .
God of War Ragnarok: Trophies and platinum
God of War Ragnarok has a platinum trophy and our trophy guide will help you with this. There we described all 36 trophies - you will learn about their requirements and how to unlock them.
God of War Ragnarok: System requirements
You can learn about the available graphic modes on PS5 on the Graphic modes page in the Appendix section. We have described performance mode and quality mode, as well as their additional variants.
God of War Ragnarok: Game's length
It should take you about 30 hours on average to beat God of War Ragnarok. The play time can be longer mainly by finding collectibles and doing optional activities - the time can even double.
More detailed information about how long it takes to beat GoW Ragnarok on: Game length.
God of War Ragnarok: Language versions
God of War Ragnarok offers multiple language versions.
You can learn more from a dedicated page of the guide (Language Versions).
God of War: Game Editions
At the time of writing this guide, God of War Ragnarok can be purchased for PS4 and PS5 consoles in four different versions.
For more information on the game versions and their contents, visit: Game Editions.
God of War Ragnarok: Release date
God of War Ragnarok was released on November 9, 2022 for PS4 and PS5.
About God of War Ragnarok Guide
Author : Lukasz "Qwert" Telesinski & Stranger & Hippie for gamepressure.com
Translator : Matthew Sawka & Jakub "Yossarian" Nowak
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
God of War: Ragnarok Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- platform: PS4, PS5
More About God of War: Ragnarok
Compared to the original God of War trilogy, Ragnarok is huge. It's bigger than the previous installment in the series as well. And as it happens in these cases, there are a few surprises you might want to know about before playing.
If you're cold, take a look at the games that are debuting this month – it will instantly make you warmer! November is filled to the brim with high-profile games, but also smaller ones, so there's something for everyone!
With the ninth generation of consoles in pretty much full swing, this is the year of some stunning games. Horizon Forbidden West was just the beginning – here are games with the best and most realistic graphics coming in 2022.
The countdown to 2022's biggest releases can begin – especially since potential blockbusters are just around the corner – coming in February! So here's an editorial ranking of the most anticipated games in 2022.
After watching the latest PlayStation Showcase conference, I have very mixed feelings. On the one hand, Sony showed some really exciting games; on the other, their release dates are either distant, or totally unspecified.